Thursday 15 March 2012

Even more on James

I really should have updated this a while ago: James the Elephant rigs.
I built these rigs which may or may not be used, currently I'm making no more changes to them until I know they are needed.

Normal:



Neatened up rig with IK on the legs, tail and head. I also made several attempts at an IK trunk but I think hand drawn would look better than any of them - I've put some pics at the end.
Part way through a walk:

The trunks:


One thing I am particularly pleased with in this rig is the seamlessness of the outline. To achieve this I separated the outline and fill of various parts (such as each leg or trunk joint) and made sure all the outline parts had a greater depth than all the fill parts of that leg or trunk.
I then parented the fill parts together as normal and parented each outline part to it's own respective fill part.
All this means is that the outline will never have gaps or overlap other parts, and I think it results in a nice smooth look and a slightly squishy feel which suits the comedic elephant.

No comments:

Post a Comment